We have an URGENT need for blood donations. Appointments Required. Safety measures are in place.
BLOOD DONATION: Please make an appointment to donate blood.
ANTIBODY TESTING: Starting Oct 26, all blood donations will be tested for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. Learn more.
CONVALESCENT PLASMA: Recovered COVID-19 patients can donate plasma to support patients fighting COVID-19. Learn more.
COVID-19 VACCINATION: Starting Jan 15, the following COVID-19 vaccines are permitted without a deferral period: AstraZeneca, Janssen, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer. Learn more.
View Spanish version en español
For questions related to blood donation and COVID-19, including a full list of travel and exposure deferrals, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
- We are temporarily deferring donors for out-of-state travel. This includes travel to Baja, Mexico. If you traveled outside of California in the last 28 days, please reschedule.
- If you have an appointment, please allow extra time as we have implemented new screening and enhanced cleaning processes.
- If you have seasonal allergies, please donate when you are not experiencing symptoms. We are currently deferring anyone with symptoms shared with COVID-19.
- If donors cared for, lived with or otherwise have had close contact with an individual(s) diagnosed with or suspected of having COVID-19 infection, they are deferred for 28 days (4 weeks) from the last date of exposure with the individual(s). Healthcare workers, please review our FAQs for donation deferrals.
- All donors who have been diagnosed with or are suspected of having COVID-19 are deferred for 4 weeks from the date the symptoms resolved.
- The following COVID-19 vaccines are permitted without a deferral period: AstraZeneca, Janssen, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer. If you are unsure of the name of the COVID-19 vaccine or it is not listed, you will be deferred from donation for 14 days.
To make an appointment, visit sandiegobloodbank.org/donate. Donors must be 17 years or older, weigh a minimum of 114 pounds, and be in general good health.
Where can I donate blood nearby?
Please make an appointment. Appointments are available at our eight donor centers and blood drives in the community.
- Downtown San Diego: Gateway Donor Center (2 miles east of downtown) - Click here
- Point Loma, Ocean Beach, Old Town: Liberty Station Donation Location - Click here
- Chula Vista, National City and Imperial Beach: South Bay Donation Location - Click here
- El Cajon, La Mesa, Santee and Lakeside: East County Donor Center - Click here
- Escondido and San Marcos: North County Donor Center - Click here
- Vista, Oceanside and Carlsbad: Coastal Donor Center - Click here
- Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Mira Mesa and Rancho Peñasquitos: Sabre Springs Donor Center - Click here
- La Jolla, Carmel Valley and Del Mar: Carmel Valley Donor Center - Click here